Reporting directly into the CFO, this is a rounded and diverse Financial Controller position. With a high level of involvement and visibility across the business, this is a fundamental role for the UK and IE business.
- Act as a key finance business partner across the company supporting understanding of budget/forecast comparison to actual results, articulate the story behind the numbers, provide analysis and business support across the business to support company growth and risk mitigation.
- In conjunction with the Executive Team, assess the long-term financial trends and review prospects for future growth of income and new product areas.
- Contributes to the achievement of the company objectives by providing advice and guidance on financial strategy, control, and governance.
- Develop and lead initiatives to improve financial performance at contract level.
- Support the on-going development of the team and ensure the team structure and competence is aligned to the requirements of the business.
- Overall day to day control of the company’s accounting function, with regular reporting to the company’s Management and Executive Teams in line with the growth of the business.
- Overall control of all financial transactions and accountancy matters. Oversight and management of the AP (Outsourced)/AR Functions.
- Ownership of the monthly management accounting and all internal reporting process.
- Responsible for the periodic budgeting and forecasting processes, financial planning and related ongoing advice for the Senior Leadership Team. Including analysis of monthly performance against budget/forecast.
- Implement a governance framework to ensure working capital and cash management is optimised in the business.
- Control of all compliance and taxation for the UK and IE including VAT, Corporation Tax, ONS Returns, and to ensure that any other periodic statutory submissions are met on a timely basis.
- Support the preparation of all annual accounts where applicable and day to day management of the statutory audit process.
- Run and review investment appraisals, cost/benefit analysis and cost and pricing financial models.
General Office Duties
- Assist with general administrative duties within the Finance team.
- Always comply with SOPs; inform your manager and quality department immediately should there be an error in an SOP or if it needs updating.
- Sustain and promote the aims, ethics and aspirations of the company and participate enthusiastically in the growth and prosperity of the company.
- Maintain confidentiality of the department and use discretion where necessary.
- You must be willing to comply with all VPG policies and complete annual mandatory training; observe safety regulations and attend mandatory fire, manual handling and other courses as required. This also includes updates and have knowledge of COSHH and Lifting and Handling Policies.
- We want our working environment to be safe for all; it is every VPG employee’s duty to report all incidents and adverse events to managers and assist in the investigations of any incidents.
- Ensure that the equipment within area of work is maintained and operated as per SOP’s, you must also always comply with SOPs. Inform your manager and quality department immediately should there be an error in an SOP or if it needs updating.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) or “What it will look like when you are doing the job well”
- Pro-active and timely reporting, containing accurate, reliable, properly accounted financial information for the use of the CFO and Executive team in decision making and statutory purposes that passes audit and shows improvement.
- Building a good relationship with the Executive and management team at all levels.
- Development of the local finance teams to ensure resilience to the business and career development for direct reports.
Knowledge, skills, attributes, and experience
- Qualified Accountant, ACA, ACCA, CIMA with relevant broad experience.
- An ability to work in a systematic manner. Be able to work independently to complete allotted tasks in a time-sensitive manner with a high level of attention to detail and upmost confidentiality.
- Experience of working at SFM level, ideally for growth, small-medium sized enterprises (c.200 staff).
- Senior level experience of managing financial operations, preferably outsourced contracts.
- Senior level experience of corporate governance.
- Advanced excel and database management skills.
- Expert management accounting knowledge and skills.
- Must be able to clearly articulate to financial and non-financial leaders and staff.
- Demonstrate extensive commercial awareness and be able to work to strict deadlines and under pressure.
- Evidence of significant managerial experience in supporting operations and new business activities, investment appraisal, cost/benefit analysis.
- Ability to work in a fast-changing growth environment and proactively support business growth.